Friday 9 March 2012

MY FAVOURITE: Part Eight - Andrew Hook

Hi Guys,

A late post for a Friday evening, this time featuring the latest part of our Discover Festival MY FAVOURITE mini-interviews. It's been great to read these and find out more about our fantastuc line-up, and this time we're checking in with slipstream author ANDREW HOOK, with some great choices as always!

Expect more news next week, as well as some more of our interviews leading into the event!

Thanks a lot

Alex


MY FAVOURITE: ANDREW HOOK

FAVOURITE BOOK: Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. First read this over twenty years ago at a particularly formative time of my life. It's a rollicking read packed with ideas and good humour. One of the few books I repeatedly re-read.

FAVOURITE AUTHOR: There are only a handful of authors I've read almost everything by: Franz Kafka, Jonathon Carroll, Tom Robbins, and Nicholas Royle, so it could be one of those. But I think I'd have to choose Vladimir Nabokov because his writing, ideas and word play consistently excite me.

FAVOURITE GENRE FILM: It's difficult to choose one, but I'd probably go for Watchmen due to its scope and a personal connection it holds for me.

FAVOURITE NON-GENRE FILM: Jean-Luc Godard's "Pierrot Le Fou". French New Wave cinema is a major influence on me, and this is a classic with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Anna Karina. Witty, inventive, different, and surreal.

FAVOURITE TV SHOW: It would have to be The Avengers (Emma Peel era) and The Mighty Boosh. There are few TV shows which bear repeated viewings, and both of these fall into that category. I love the logic that underpins even the most surreal plots in both these shows.

FAVOURITE BAND: The Stranglers. The first proper record I bought back in November 1979 at the tender age of twelve was the single, "Five Minutes". I've been a fan ever since. I can't think of another band who have explored so many different musical avenues.

FAVOURITE GAME: Scrabble. Since I started playing this with my partner a few years ago she has won about 93% of the games. For some reason this makes me enjoy it much more than I really should.

No comments:

Post a Comment